Canadian Gate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Truces and treachury Campaign

+3
ian
Robbie
Calvin
7 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Truces and treachury Campaign Empty Truces and treachury Campaign

Post by Calvin Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:33 am

Okay so, this is the new campaign thread. I'm currently designing a campaign style that will encompass multiple players, decent narrative, and also some customizability. The main idea is that each army (with a few exeptions) can choose to ally with other players, and maybe double cross them in the end.

I believe at this point I'm settling on the campaign ending in a set number of campaign turns. The player with the most campaign points wins. Campaign points are more like resources though so I will call them that from now on. These resources aren't like the ones you'd expect armies to be fighting for, they are less material and are more based on what type of army* would be most interested in what type of points.

*The types of armies you can choose are based on their involvement in the campaign. Your army may be a band of mercenaries looking to gain wealth by hiring yourselves out to other armies. Or perhaps you are defending a colony or outpost that happens to be in the same sector as the campaign. Maybe you entered the campaign for some mysterous reason, hunting for some sacred artifact or trying to rescue vital information that was lost some where in the region.

The resources are as follows, now bare with me, because they are very broad kinds of resources that can be imagined as the form of one thing or another. Here they are:

Glory - This is imagined as the moral resolve of the army. Defeating ones arch nemesis would award much glory indeed!
Riches -This represents material supplies, money or treasure.
Land - This is both how much of the campaign world is under your control as well as how well you know it.
Ancient Lore - Of course in WH 40K, the galaxy is full of this stuff, but it is ususally hard to find. This can be imagined as your knowledge of the secrets of the galaxy.

Oh and here are the army classes:

Antagonist - The bad guys. These guys are here to utterly destroy or at least humiliate the Protagonist. FAVORITE RESOURCE: (G)
Protagonist - The good guys. Their one true goal is to defeat the Antagonist and bring glory to their kind. FAVORITE RESOURCE: (G)
Occupation - These guys are concerned for the protection and well being of their home lands. FAVORITE RESOURCE: (L)
Mercenary - Lacking a significant amount of moral standard, this class of army is willing to fight for the highest bidder. FAVORITE RESOURCE: (R)
Interloper - Here on a secret (or simply selfish) mission, Interlopers join the campaign for their own reasons. FAVORITE RESOURCE: (A)

So when preparing for the campaign, pick what class you want your army to be. We need at least on of everything, but no more than one protagonist and one antagonist. After you've done that, add some background to them. If your mercs, give them a back story that makes them feel independant. If you choose Occupation, then invent some worlds and stuff that the setting for the campaign will take place on. If you're an Antagonist or Protagonist explain why you hate the other so darned much and perhaps what brought you to the places that are described by the Occupation player. See how this game can possibly create an interesting collaborative story?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I can explain the awesomeness of diplomacy and how the game will work in later posts. I'm also working on ways you can spend resources to help you win even though you need resources to win. It will be an intersting decision.

Remember, this is still a work in progress, but the more interest you show in it the more I'll work on making it awesome!

Go ahead and argue over who's going to be who!
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet
Name: Dr. Quack
UPP: 6A5668
Service: Scientist

Back to top Go down

Truces and treachury Campaign Empty Re: Truces and treachury Campaign

Post by Robbie Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:49 pm

Hmm, do riches include slaves? If so my Kabal would be willing to work with anybody who could pay the price.
Robbie
Robbie
HQ
HQ

Character sheet
Name: Baron Heinrich Von Hohenberg
UPP: 5424AC
Service: Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:36 pm

It can be imagined that way. But alternatively, you could be the protagonist: In a previous campaign you sold your services to some other army, (most likely chaos) but you were short changed or left for dead. Now you are back for revenge... and maybe some slaves.

Or you could even be Interlopers: You enter a sector in search of a specific kind of dark or evil energy or something. The location of it seems to be hidden in some unsuspecting colony. Your mission is to acquire this energy to power some doomsday device.... and of course get some slaves while you're at it.

See? You can fit your army into any class with a little effort. Those kinds of backgrounds are best. Don't worry about what the resources may or may not be. Each resource is something completely different from army to army.

To a Tyranid, both Riches AND land may just be biomass. Ancient Lore would be very special bio mass like if Lictors absorbed some powerful psycher's brain stuff. Then it would transfer yet more supernatural powers to the rest of the hive fleet.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:37 am

this sounds awsome i defently whould like to do this

ian
HQ
HQ

Character sheet
Name: Rey Pallant
UPP: 67CD65
Service: Marine

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:33 am

Just a quick update:

I created all the little bonuses you can buy with the resources. I wont bother posting them here until this gam e gets going. They range from getting free units to getting apocalypse strategic assets in normal games to campaign scale things like stealing resources.

I also mocked up the idea for Supreme Commanders! This will be your commander of the entire army who you will only want to call upon in the most important battles. He will give you some decent bonuses as well as being slightly better than a normal HQ unit. This dude represents you!
(It can even be a special character if you prefer)

I'm hoping to get at lest 5 of you.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:00 pm

cool i like the idea of haveing awsome commanders

ian
HQ
HQ

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Reuben Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:49 pm

this sounds really confusing confused
Reuben
Reuben
HQ
HQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:13 am

Its not confusing. There is nothing tactical to think about. Just think about what role you would want your army to play. Antagonist, Protagonist, Mercenary, Occupation, or Interloper.

Make up some interesting story background stuff.

Its that simple.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:10 am

In fact, how about when you've decided what class of army you want, tell me in a PM with the subject: TAT

that way, its a secret to other players who vie for your destruction!
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:22 am

Okay, so if you really must know. Once you have told me in the aformentioned PM:

1. What army you are playing as

2. What class your army is.

3. What HQ unit you chose do also act as your SupCom when you want it to.

4. Maybe even a bit of back story if you want. this is optional I guess but the best armies are the ones with the best backgrounds.

I may even help to talk to other players and say "Hey, what if you betrayed my army at some point and now you're seeking revenge!" You know, that sort of thing. Expand the story like that and it will be all the better. (I know I mentioned keeping it secret but thats if you want to remain secret to add to the story. ie - Interlopers or Mercenary sclasses.)

Once that is done I will explain to you the situation of the campaign and what state your army is in. Then based on that knoweldge which will feel purely story driven you will decide on your next move.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:55 am

1. Dark Eldar

2. Interloper

3. Kheradruakh, The Decapitator

4. We're are not sure why we are here. One "day" I found my citidal awash with mandrakes. Coming out in to the main hall I found Kheradruakh. This naturally suprised me and still he will speak no words to me on his purpose or how he even got in. After I had finished having my one way conversation he held out his hand with a small device in it. Reaching out I took it and found it to be a small data chip with the location of a star system inside. So we go, I know not what he seeks, and do not care. All I know is that we shall have our payment in the blood of innocents.
Robbie
Robbie
HQ
HQ

Character sheet
Name: Baron Heinrich Von Hohenberg
UPP: 5424AC
Service: Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:28 am

Yay! thats what I want to hear. More people do that!

ps- it doean't have to be in story form, just plain ol analytical is okay too. you know "My guys are doing this because...." Sorta thing.

But thanks Robbie. Now we just need more people to join.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:59 pm

well im gona be Imperial Guard (obviously) doing the thing which they do (Occupation) and once i know some back ground on the area were we are fighting i can give a resone for them being there.

ian
HQ
HQ

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cody Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:06 pm

i'd be intrested my works slowed down

cody
HQ
HQ

Character sheet
Name: Lucas Wright
UPP: 867B75
Service: Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Hey Ian, if you are occupation why not make up something. Because you chose this we know that the area of the campaign will be in Empirium space. Or your forces are of a different allegence. Plus other players can choose to be occupation as well. The occupation class really defines the games setting. Most intersting.

I do believe that we have 3 confirmed players. If I include myself it will be 4. I will be playing a little bit more passively as I will be doing most of the game managing.

Plus a Protagonist and an Antagonist are neccessary. I could end up choosing one of those, but I will wait for others to join.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:28 pm

Oh, and people CAN join late thogh, which is cool. If we started campaign turn one, finished it and then some one said "Hey I would like to play" That could totally work.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:37 am

So I just sent the current players pms on the current situation. Withso little players, and it being the first turn there will be very little going on. Other people can (And I encourage you) to join any time. Sooner is better than later!

Even if you aren't goign to do any atttacks this turn you should still come to the game night. We can play non campaign games still.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Well the 89th caidian and 35th caidian armored (i just made me a name) can be mobilised to any planet that gets attacked and where the PDF proves Insafishiant. (thats the standard Imperial Guard response)

ian
HQ
HQ

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Reuben Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:15 pm

im going to be an antagonist with chaos space marines and kharn as my HQ am i missing anything out of that?

Last edited by Reuben on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reuben
Reuben
HQ
HQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Reuben Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:22 pm

and my story is ......a warband of karhns has just lept out of the warp to find all these factions fighting and well as kharn loves to combat he sets his ships and readys for the fight with nothing but the basic plan of kill everybody there before moving on to another battle sight....
Reuben
Reuben
HQ
HQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:49 am

Okay cool. But if someone wants to be (I can if no one else will) protagonist then a story should link both the portagonist and the antagonist together.

Still, good enough for now. I'll send you a pm Reuben.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cody Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:12 am

i'll be able to make it saturday but i cant sunday

cody
HQ
HQ

Character sheet
Name: Lucas Wright
UPP: 867B75
Service: Army

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:27 pm

Okay, we may be able to do saturday.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:01 pm

awsome

ian
HQ
HQ

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:22 pm

Sweet, we got the ball roling! Okay here is a list of things you can buy:

Bonus Units
300 G A free Elites unit at 200 points or less to add to a battle.
200 R 150 points worth of free upgrades to add to a battle.
300 L A free Troops unit at 200 points or less to add to a battle.
300 A A free unit at 200 points or less to add to a battle.

Strategic Assets
500 G Supreme HQ
500 R Shield Generator
200 L Ambush
500 A Strategic Redeployment

Meta (or campaign scale)
600 G May stop any player from making an attack
300 R May convert 500 of any resource into any other resource
300 L Steal D6 x 100 of any resources into any other resource
200 A +3 bonus to persuation

Unit Powerups
400 G One unit gets feel no pain for one battle
400 R One unit gets +1 BS for one battle
400 L One unit gets stealth + Night vision/acute senses for one battle
400 A One unit gets 5+ invulnerable save for one battle

Okay, so you can only make 1 purchase per category per turn. You got that? One from each category, max!

Also new rule:

Each player may only partake in 2 battles per turn. (I may change this later) If you have already played 2 battles in one turn and someone still has to attack you then you automatically lose that battle! This means that if you made an attack that turn, and you know some one is attacking you, you'd better hope no one else is attacking you. They will get free points and you will lose a few points.

Allies can help with this though. If there is an established alliance when the turn begins deals can be made. After the attacks are announced then the alliance can choose to take over each others battles. And if it comes to it (most likely in the case of mercenaries) they can persuade some money for the deal. If one player needs an ally to cover a battle for them and that ally demands money, then they can hagle a price for any resource. There are some modifiers in there as well but its not important now.

So after a price is agreed upon, and modifiers are applied, then the ally will basically fight a battle for the player. The ally will get the resources for victory or lose the resources for a loss. But deals can be made. Someone can say, "I'll let you take 75% of the winnings if you fight for me,"

Okay, I'm still a little fuzzy on how this will ultimataley work out. So for now just imagine it as helping out players in Munchkin if you played that game. Just replace treasure deals with percentages of resources. There.

More rules later.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content