Canadian Gate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Generation

4 posters

Go down

Character Generation Empty Character Generation

Post by Calvin Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:26 am

Due to the fairly random nature of the system it is best to generate a character first, and then create some background story to them. Look up the characteristics, skills, ranks and titles and use that as a basis for your character's background.

Also, the Generic Sci Fi Universe is a little generic. Don't be afraid to make a lavish character background that helps flesh out the universe. Like if you want to make up your own alien race, or a galactic trade corporation or something like that. remember, this is collaborative fiction!

Here is the Character Generator:
I recomend that you skim parts of the big 'ol block of text to help understand how it works.

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?3k8us4gah5vjss5
(Kay, just copy and paste that into an address bar thingy. It SHOULD work)
This may feel like a big block of text, but feel free to just skim it or read the parts you are interested in.

The program will do these steps automatically, but it may be good to skim them over so you understand what is going on:

1. First off characteristics are generated. They will show up on the right side of the screen in a box.

2. Pick a service from the list to enlist in. This is probably the most important step as it decides what skills your character willl gain as well as decide how your character might act role playing wise. If you fail to enlist in something you may be drafted into another service or you might also have a chance to pick another service.

3. Each service will have some kind of danger, it is possible that your character dies at this stage! Scouts and Belters both have fairly high death rates while noble and some other services will have very little chance of death. If you die, better make a new character.

4. Comission (or "position" for non military services) is then attempted. If acheived, your character will go up one rank. If not, then skip to step 6. (note that a few services don't even have ranks and so go to step 6 always)

5. A promotion will be attempted. If successful, your character will goe up yet one more rank. If not then better luck next time.

6. Skills are then doled out. You will get one skill pick usually, but you get another for being commisioned, and another for being promoted. Select a skill catagory. A skill will then be given to you. You would normally be able to see the what skill you acquired but the box to the right (mentioned earlier) doesn't expand very much, and you can't scroll down becaue the menu will flicker at you angrily.

7. Once all skill picks are used up, you will see if you are allowed to reenlist. Sometimes you wont be, and some times you will have to reenlist. Most of the time you will be allowed to choose. If you reenlist, start at step 3 again to start another tour (or term) of service. Reasons why you may not want to reenlist would be if your character is getting old. Aging starts to have its affects at age 34. Some stats may start to get lowered.

8. Next its time to muster out! This is where you can acquire material benefits. You get one benefit pick for each term of service you completed. Plus some bonus picks depending on you rank if you have any. You can choose from either material benefits or cash benefits. This is where you can get money, weapons and passages. Plus some other goodies. They may also just add to your characteristics as well.

9. Finalize character. The program will compile everything about your character that it can. It will display most of it in the main tect field. But some stuff like skills will still be in the box to the right. This is where you can take a look at your character. If it is completely stupid like has terribly low characteristics or has absolutely no skills then maybe I will allow you to remake one. BUT RUN IT BY ME FIRST!!!

10. Copy and Paste all of the text thats under "Character finalized" and all of the text in the box to the right. Some of this stuff is the same. To help to remove clutter figure out all the stuff thats the same (ie. the characteristics and stuff will appear in both places) Put this into a readable list and send it to me through a PM or any other way. That way I can put up a character sheet for you and you can put up some backgroound info for him/ her.

Chracteristics:
Strength is both a general evaluation of the character's physical ability and a specific measure of force which may be applied.
Dexterity measures physical co-ordination.
Endurance measures personal determination and stamina.
Intelligence corrisponds to IQ.
Education indicates the highest level of schooling attained by the individual.
Social Standing notes the social class and level of society from which the character (and his or her family) comes.

Services:
Naval characters will tend to be familiar with the technical aspects of space flight, such as navigation, with such things as advanced electronics and engineering necessary to running giant starships, and with the less complex aspects of space such as vacc suits.
Marine characters will accumulate skills related to their roles in ship-to-ship and surface combat, as well as a smattering of more technical skills such as mechanical and computer.
Army soldiers deals with planetary surface actions, battles, and campaigns. They may also serve as mercenaries for hire.
Scout characters are often expected to operate alone, and so receive skills related to all aspects of space flight from pilot to engineering and mechanical.
Merchant characters can accumulate skills relating to space flight, such as pilot and navigation, to trade, such as administration, and to less technical but equally important aspects of life, such as brawling, gambling, and forgery.
Characters in the Other career are much less specific. The nature of their career must be deduced from the skills gained. Honestly, this is kind of a bland service.
Pirates are individuals crewing interplanetary or interstellar vessels, who make their living by attacking, hijacking, or plundering commerce. Skills are generally starship and martial in nature.
Belters are individuals who prospect and mine asteroid belts in search of mineral deposits, artifacts, or salvage materials. This career has a low survival rate, but the material benefits are amazing.
Sailors are members of the Nautical Force Command (the wet navy) of a world.
Diplomats are members of the Foreign Service of a government. Skills will tend to be social in nature.
Doctors are trained individuals conducting medical practice. Obviously their skills are medical in nature.
Flyers are members of the Close Orbit and Airspace Control Command (the airforce) of a world.
Barbarians are rugged individuals from primitive planets accustomed to hardship and well-trained in wilderness and survival situations.
Bureaucrats are individuals serving a government or organization in management or excecutive capacities. Skills will be administrative in nature.
Rogues are criminial elements who are familiar with the rougher or more illegal methods of accomplishing tasks. Skills will most likely be combat and counter-authority in nature.
Nobles are individuals of the upper classes who perform little consistent function, but often have large amounts of ready money. Skills will probalby be a little bit all over the place. Some skill here, some there. Material benefits are top notch though. This service is reserved for characters with social standing of A (10) or more.
Scientists are individuals trained in technological or research sciences who conduct scientific investigations into materials, situations, and phenomena. Skills will often be Computer, Mechanical, and/or Electronic. But there are others.
Hunters are individuals who track and hunt animals of varying sizes and types for profit or enjoyment. Combat and survival skills are pretty common I think.

Skills will be explained after you have generated your characters, or if you really really need to know before hand.

If you have any questions just post a question on here. I will answer it as I check this site very often.

Last edited by Calvin on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:20 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : fixing the damned link)
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet
Name: Dr. Quack
UPP: 6A5668
Service: Scientist

Back to top Go down

Character Generation Empty Re: Character Generation

Post by Calvin Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:21 pm

I will quickly jot down explanations for a few of the common pieces of eqiupment and explain more in detail later.

Guns:
Pistols are more useful at Dexterity 7 or more. Body pistols are like small hold out ones best for subtle work.

Carbines are the most user friendly, needing dexterity 5 to be decent but still not too bad with lower scores.

Everything else I think is more useful at dexterity 7 or 8.

Lasers require more though, and are very advanced but freakin' deadly!

Blades and polearms:

Basically small weapons are easier to use, daggers and blades need only like strength 4 to be good with.

I think most other weapons need strength 7 do be half decent with.

The broadsword is like the most awesome weapon but needs like 8 or 9 to be used properly and is really unwieldly at lower strength scores.

Passages:

These are tickets for travelling to other star systems.
Low is worth like Cr1000 and they just toss you into a cryo chamber. Kind of degrading but at least you get your beauty rest.

Mid is decent and worth Cr2500. But if space on the ship is full and folks with high passages decide to climb aboard you get "bumped" meaning the kick you off for higher paying customers.

High is of course first class. The best food and room service. worth Cr5000.

(I don't have the rules at hand so thats why I'm saying "I think" a bunch)
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:55 pm

Okay guys. Home worlds. If you want you can make up a home world from which your character came. If you don't want to do that, then no big deal.

Plus I would like some confirmation of those that have characters that don't want to be human. Some of you I have, but not everyone specified.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Taegen Kirsch Wed May 04, 2011 1:49 am

Prior Service: Pirates
Strength: 7
Dexterity: 8
Endurance: 9
Intelligence: 6
Education: 8
Social Standing: 4
Credits: Cr1000
Terms Served: 1
Electronics: 1
Vacc Suit: 1
Brawling: 1

Taegen Kirsch
Fast Attack
Fast Attack

Character sheet
Name: Kruza
UPP: 789684
Service: Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sage Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:28 pm

When I try to get to that website it just says something about file storage
Sage
Sage
HQ
HQ

Character sheet
Name:
UPP:
Service:

http://lutafiskpage.wordpress.com/wp-admin/

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:34 pm

.... Uhhhh, why are you trying to get to that website anyways?
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sage Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:31 pm

Just wanted 2 see what the fuss is about
Sage