Canadian Gate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traveller Discussion

3 posters

Go down

Traveller Discussion Empty Traveller Discussion

Post by Calvin Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:09 am

Here you guys can ask me any questions you have about the game we are going to play. If you are confused or unsure about certain things, feel free to ask.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet
Name: Dr. Quack
UPP: 6A5668
Service: Scientist

Back to top Go down

Traveller Discussion Empty Re: Traveller Discussion

Post by Calvin Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:19 am

IS NOBODY CURIOUS ABOUT ANY ASPECT OF THIS GAME? No questions what so ever?
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Colton Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:52 pm

How does the rolling work? Say if i was trying to force someone to talk, and they had 8 Endurance, how would u roll this?
Colton
Colton
Fast Attack
Fast Attack

Character sheet
Name: Fenris
UPP: 879547
Service: Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:54 pm

Pretty much every roll would use 2D6. There are all kinds of modifiers. The game system pretty well leaves it up to me to figure out what modifiers to apply. But common sense helps with that.

The first thing that comes to mind would be Interrogation skill. I would say if you wanted to get some one to talk who would resist, I would say if you have an Interrogation skill I would give a +2 modifier for each level in that skill.

OR you could bribe them, though that may involve giving up some of your own money. If you have the Bribery skill I would apply that as a positive modifier in the same way. (+2 per level of Bribery)

OR you could try a bit of a friendlier aproach. With a Carousing skill you could try to socialize with the person, and eventually have them slip the information you want unexpectedly or because they begin to trust you. Once again I wouls apply a modifier in the same way.

As I can't think of any more skills that would be relevent in this situation I would say you could try to try any of the above if you had the Jack of All Trades skill (with no modifier bonuses) or attempt these activities completely untrained. In such a case I would probably add a -5 modifier for attempting something your character doesn't really know how to do.

In addition to this I would add a modifier for the victim's endurance as he tries to resist. Personally I like to add a modifier that works like this: In your example you mentioned Endurance 8. 7 for any characteristic is average, so I would take his Endurance of 8 and -7 to it. That gives us +1. Because this is AGAINST you I would subtract this number. (or if he had endurance 4 I would add 3 to it)

As a rule of thumb I will make most target numbers 8+. (a 42% chance, not 50%!) Two dice will be rolled and the modifiers will be added to the roll to get a "modified roll" So lets say you had Interrogation-1. I will roll a 2D6 and lets say I rolled a 7.

TN: 8+
Roll: 7 + 2(Interrogation) - 1(victim's endurance)

You just passed. Now, although its not always important in the game sometimes time to the nearest half minute must be tracked. So will figure out how much time you spent doing it using common sense plus a little some thing I picked up from another rpg. I will imagine it may take like say...... 40 minutes to extract all the information you need. As a modifier to this number I will use Margin of Success. Take the modified roll and subtract from the target number. In your case you broke even at 0. Add this number to the 40 minutes I suggested, and I will write something like this:

Time: 40 minutes + 0 (MoS)

So you successfully extracted the information you needed but it took 40 minutes to do so.

Keep in mind a few things.
1. Not all rolls will be made with modifiers to that.
2. I will be handling all of this.
3. I have no problem telling you the odds before you are sure you want to take a certain action. This way your character isn't attempting to do impossible things all the time. Of course some times I might fudge it a little so your character isn't ALWAYS sure of his chances.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Okay I figured I'd put a lits of the difficulty settings I will have on certain action cheks and rolls:
2+ (snake eyes always fails if a roll is even made)
3+ (97%) -> almost always successful
4+ (92%)
5+ (83%)
6+ (72%) -> easy
7+ (58%) -> Average easy
8+ (42%) -> Average difficult
9+ (28%) -> difficult
10+ (17%)
11+ (8%)
12+ (3%) -> Almost impossible

(Hoping this doesn't spoil the game in any way)
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Taegen Kirsch Wed May 04, 2011 2:21 am

i think well figure more of it out as we start it

Taegen Kirsch
Fast Attack
Fast Attack

Character sheet
Name: Kruza
UPP: 789684
Service: Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Taegen Kirsch Wed May 04, 2011 2:31 am

oh and what happens if we miss a day, do all of us have to continue every night, or do they get eliminated muh hahaha.....

Taegen Kirsch
Fast Attack
Fast Attack

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Wed May 04, 2011 2:36 am

Haha, no. The idea is that I will post something, and usually wait a while (probaly 2 or 3 days) or until everyone has posted something back if they absolutely must react to the situation. In the worst case scenario I may "auto-pilot" the character.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Taegen Kirsch Sat May 07, 2011 10:34 pm

hey how do you coment or put those little adds on the posts,

Taegen Kirsch
Fast Attack
Fast Attack

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin Sat May 07, 2011 10:51 pm

I was wondering when someone would ask. Haha.

there is a button that says others. It gives you a list of little code thingies. The one you are thinking of is "spoiler" That is the onoe I'm always doing.

Here is what the code should look like:
Typing this:
Code:
[color=black][spoiler=OOC]out of character stuff goes here.[/spoiler][/color]
Makes this:
OOC:

There are a few steps to make this proper because of text colours.

After typing the thing you want to be a spoiler, high light it and select the others button and then spoilers. Then highlight that (including the code that was placed down when you clicked spoilers) and change the colour to black. The button has a few colour squares on it. AND THEN! to be even more extra special, you can look for the part in the code that looks like this: [spoiler] Then make it look like [spoiler=OOC] or [spoiler=picture of character] or almost anything that gives it a nice title. That part is optionaly though as it is just for completion.
Calvin
Calvin
Special Character

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down